Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Human milk for human babies

Human breast milk contains stem cells.

Amazing. I will never use formula unless I CANNOT produce milk. I feel sorry for mama's who believe formula is just as good as human milk. I am not putting down mama's who have to use formula; it's the ones who choose to use formula because it's 'more convenient' for them. I know what it's like to pump milk at work twice a day. Not fun, and not relaxing. But it was what was absolutely BEST for my baby, and even now, at 22 month's old, it is still what is best for my child. Are there days where I am completely 'touched out'? You bet! But i do it because it is the perfect nutrition for her. Nothing compares. And i know that in the event that my body can't produce milk when a child of mine needs it, that there are human milk banks. I will try my hardest to make sure that my children will always have what is best for them, even if it makes me tired, makes me feel 'touched out', or if it means i get a little bit less sleep than I would prefer.

some more information links:

FDA Breast feeding info

American Academy of Pediatrics

WomensHeath.gov

Oregon Health and Science University

interesting articles:

CNN on Sharing Breast Milk

Eco Mall, excerpted from Mothers Magazine

Babycenter.com articles search

1 comment:

  1. I am with you. We are still breastfeeding at 21 months. And I pumped at least 3 times a day until he was 1. I feel so proud that we have gone so long. Yay for boobies! lol!

    ReplyDelete