Tuesday, January 27, 2009


article Here

Basically, Corn Refiners' Association, who make high fructose corn syrup- which can be found in almost every product, from bread to ice cream to hotdogs- have been making and using HFCS that was known to have mercury in it. What is worse, is that the FDA knew about it at least as early as 2005, but have done nothing about it.

Why does it matter?
"Mercury is toxic in all its forms," said IATP's David Wallinga, M.D., and a co-author in both studies. "Given how much high fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the FDA to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply."

So please, please, READ your food labels. Stop buying products that contain HFCS. It isn't easy, and might be slightly more expensive at first. But is risking mercury poisoning in you, your children and families worth it? Not for me. Not even a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... Knew the HFCS stuff was bad and try to avoid it but didn't know that it contained Mercury. Will be label checking more from that news than from the high calories it contains. (The old silver fillings in your teeth contain Mercury too)